Chicken cooked in Nallennai is an authentic South Indian village dish. Nallennai (gingely oil) adds great flavor to the chicken. Naatu kozhi would be the best choice for this dish. If you're in the US and want to replicate Naatu kozhi's flavor, you can try Cornish game hen. You can get 80% flavor, but Naatu kozhi is definitely the unbeatable winner!Ingredients:
Chicken ( preferably with bones and skin) - 1 pound, cut into small cubes
Onion - 1/2 (finely chopped)
Tomato - 1/2 (mashed)
Ginger-Garlic paste (Ingi poondu vizhudhu) - 2 teaspoons
Gingelly Oil (nallennai, sesame oil) - 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Daily Samayal's special karimasala podi - 3 teaspoons
Mustard (Kadugu) - half a teaspoon
Fenugreek (Vendhayam) - 5-6 seeds
Curry leaves (Kariveppilai) - 5-6 leaves
Coconut (Thengai) - 4-5 (one inch piece each), ground into a fine paste. While grinding coconut, dry grind it first to avoid lumps.
Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoonProcedure:
1. Add 2 teaspoons gingelly oil (can be substituted with peanut oil/ corn oil/ vegetable oil but gingelly oil gives the traditional village flavor) in a flat-bottomed vessel.
2. Add mustard seeds, followed by fenugreek seeds.
3. When mustard splutters, add curry leaves, chopped onions, salt, turmeric and fry for a few minutes.
4. When onion turns slightly brown, add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a few seconds (until the raw smell is gone).
5. Add chicken and half a cup of water (adding too much water would spoil the taste, adding water until the chicken pieces are fully immersed would be the right amount). Cook the chicken until done, it would take about 12-15 minutes approximately. *Do not add tomatoes with chicken at this stage, it will make the chicken rubbery. Add tomatoes once the chicken is cooked *
6. Add 3 teaspoons of Daily Samayal's special karimasala Podi (substitute it with 1 spoon chilli powder, 2 spoons coriander powder, half spoon garam masala powder), and mashed tomatoes. Cook for another 6-8 minutes.
7. Add ground coconut paste to this mixture and allow it cook for another 5-8 minutes.
8. Allow it to stand for a few minutes and then serve with hot rice or chapatis.
Entire cooking is done on a medium heat.
Spice level: Very spicy.